Great way to see Maui with the roof down!
Fun little cruiser, great on gas.
Trunk/boot fits 2 carry ons without adjusting back seats.
Fold forward back seats for plenty more storage.
2006 MINI Cooperkristine's MINI1548
It was awesome driving a mini convertible in Maui. Great on the winding roads to Hana awesome gas mileage. Fortunately all the problems mentioned were fixed. I had a great time and would definitely rent again
When we arrived in Maui, the car we originally booked (Mini Cooper) had a problem with the door and was in the shop being fixed. Therefore, Kristine had a different car waiting for us at the airport. While we were thankful she made it to where we had a car to use in the meantime, we did have to go out of our way on our honeymoon to meet with her assistant to switch to another car that was still not the mini cooper we asked for since it was still in the shop. The next car was very clean but was given to us pretty much on empty so we had to fill it up with gas. Then, the next day we had to switch cars again to finally get the mini cooper we asked for, but we were told we needed to vacuum the last car out if we got any sand in it at all which we also did not want to have to do on our honeymoon. Finally, we get the mini cooper and it was full with gas, but not clean and there was trash and personal items left in the vehicle. Kristine was great with communication which is why I give it 3 stars and we are thankful we had a vehicle at all, but we just really didn't want to have to switch vehicles 3 times on our honeymoon, vacuum out a whole car, finally get our car we wanted dirty, and then have to keep filling up each vehicle with gas which all ranged in different gas prices being three different vehicles.
Before you rent this car you should know it needs several things fixed. As the last renter posted it does not have air which is listed in the description but very last. The knob on the radio is off and difficult to use. The low pressure tire sensor light continues to come on making the renter continuously stop and check the tires. The drivers side door is almost impossible to get out of, I almost mastered the process of getting out. You must turn off the car, press the key fob to unlock, lock several times, pull the handle several times and on around the third or fourth pull it will open. If you had to get out of the car in a hurry better jump out the window. Valet parking is a complete embarrassment. The power steering is whining, we did add some power steering fluid as it was low. Still whining, pump probably is going out. Brakes squeal. I messaged the owner about all of this and was told to take it to BMW. We were on vacation and didn't want to spend our time at a dealership having a car we rented fixed. I wasn't aware we could have returned the car after taking it or we would have. I didn't have the money to spend on another rental at the last minute. Totally inconvenienced. We were 1 hour late in dropping off the car at the airport due to traffic being heavy on the way there. So much so we almost missed the plane. When we first got the car there was an $18 parking ticket in it that the owner said she would reimburse. I didn't see that until the day after we arrived back in Texas. Along with another turo charge of $75. $25 for being an hour late but have no idea about the other $50. The car was as clean as it was when we picked it up and was full of gas. I will say the car is great on gas but the cons out weigh the pros. I have sent 3 messages to turo regarding these issues and no response. They and the owner have no problem charging your card for the rental but if there are issues they don't respond. Or you're told to go to BMW. Never one time did the owner say bring the car back and switch it with one of the other 2 cars she has on turo. She did say she hadn't seen the post from the previous renter that numbered the problems they had because she didn't know how to review them. Well maybe she will see this post or the person next on the list thinking of renting this car will read it. Sad really because first impressions are lasting and right now turo has a horrible first impression on us. Renter beware.
Kristine had great communication which really made this trip worthwhile. If there are any problems, I have no doubt that she'll respond immediately and help in any way she can. However, we were very disappointed by the condition of the car and the lack of information before we rented. A "things to know" guide or anything similar would have avoided many of the problems we experienced. Listing a few below in hopes that it better informs the next renter:
1. Driver's side door will sometimes not open, even after using the center unlock button. The lock itself will not manually lift up, either. The only thing that worked was turning off the car and opening the door with the key fob, which was very inconvenient if you needed to get out of the car quickly while it's running to grab a parking ticket or something similar.
2. Locking the driver's side door. Same thing - the center lock button was not working, but neither was the key fob in these cases. The only thing that would work was manually locking the door with the key itself from the outside.
3. Moving the passenger's side seat back and forth or up and down. Apparently this is a known issue with Mini Coopers, but it was a pretty weird one. We were loading the car with luggage and needed to move the passenger's side seat - this caused it to recline forward and it would not move. It took quite a while testing all levers and watching a few YouTube videos to put it back in place. I would suggest reading up about it if you'd like to move the passenger's side seat for any reason.
4. Having the service light come on mid-trip. Totally understand that an oil change was probably needed, but it would have been nice to have the car serviced before we rented it.
5. No A/C. I know this was mentioned in the listing (at the bottom), but it is a big thing for some visitors... I think it should be more prominent in the listing. A/C wasn't a necessity since it is a convertible, but it did get very foggy at times and it was difficult to de-fog without A/C, especially up in the rainforest.
6. There is no button on the main radio dial. I would expect this to be a quick fix, or perhaps there is some kind of workaround. I just think that was kind of inconvenient (although very minor) and would have been nice to have.
Again, Kristine had great communication and really made this trip run smoothly, I would just suggest better informing future renters of the above problems as many are not that minor.
What a wonderful automobile for touring the island highways and byways. The Mini convertible is the best way to tour the tight and winding mountain and coastal roads!! Super quick in traffic. Effortless climbs and turns. Incredibly surefooted. Parks nearly anywhere. Owner was super accommodating. Maui was so incredibly beautiful with the top down, night and day. Didn't need the a/c. All I used was the heater when the nights or the mountain air got too cool. This car is sooo much fun to drive. Thank you Kristine!!