The rental with Shmuel went well (from a general point of view, he did and didn't do a lot of things as they were requested by the procedure but I will talk about it later.)
When I got the car, the tank was a quarter full. I then drove the car for a few hours, and eventually the tank was empty. I went to a gas station to fill it up, and I paid a little more than 50 USD to fully fill the tank. This means that 1/4th of a tank for this car costs 12.5 USD.
When I had to give the car back, the tank was half full. So I contacted the owner to ask him if we could find an arrangement but he did not care at all and told me that it was my problem, not his.
The next day, he requested an additional 12 USD for the extra 16 miles over the 200 initially permitted. And this adds up to a total cost of 12.36 USD with the administrative fee included.
Surprisingly, it is (almost) the exact same amount as I gave him for free with the extra 1/4th of tank I left in the car after the rental.
I asked him for some sympathy, I tried to explain that I am a student and that 12$ is 12$, and that he has the money as gas in his car.
He basically told me he didn't care and that I had to play by the rules. (I have all the texts to prove this).
Coming back to what I said at the beginning about him not respecting the procedure, here is what I didn't find very nice from his behalf:
- He wasn't the one to welcome me and give me the car keys
- He didn't even answer my first text, he asked someone else to do it for him from another number. This other person appeared from nowhere and wasn't anywhere on his page or description.
- When I was about to get the car, this mysterious person had left and gave me directions to get the key from a small box attached to a fence. So nobody was there.
- THE CAR HAD SUCH A STRONG AND VERY DISTURBING SMELL OF TOBACCO THAT I HAD TO DRIVE FOR MY TWO ENTIRE DAYS OF RENTAL WITH THE WINDOWS OPEN, NOT BEING ABLE TO ENJOY THE AC AND IT WAS AROUND 100 F THAT DAY.
- He never asked me for my licence and never checked.
- When I had to turn in the car, no one was there just as when I picked it up and I received directions from this mysterious person and number, again, to leave the keys in a box.
According to me and from what a Turo operator told me when I called, this isn't playing by the rules.
So yes, I drove 16 miles over but I literally gave him 12.5 USD of fuel which allow him to drive a lot more than 16 miles, if we do the maths... (I used half a tank for 216 miles, so a quater of a tank allows him to drive at least 108 miles, and he never thanked me for that but kept asking for his money.
TL;DR : Trust me, it's worth reading. The car was awesome apart from that huge and very disturbing tobacco smell, and this is the reason why I gave 2 stars not 1.
Now, I want Turo to take care of this, PLEASE, because I won't talk to this thief any more.