Are there any discounts available?
Yes, for new, unregistered users! If you are new to Turo, you can receive $25 off you first rental after you sign up, get approved and book your first trip. Copy and paste this link into a new tab in your browser, https://turo.com/c/braxtong1, and then come back here to book your first trip.
What type of vehicle is the Slingshot? A motorcycle or a car?
In the U.S, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration defines and regulates three-wheeled vehicles as motorcycles. However, in 2015 a bill was introduced in Congress that prevented some 3-wheeled vehicles from being classified as motorcycles, and instead creating a new classification for "autocycles". Arizona followed suit and classified Slingshots as autocycles in 2016.
What does this mean? It means you need to be aware of some non-auto laws and/or guidelines that don't necessarily apply to cars.
Do I need to wear a helmet?
Helmets in the Slingshots are not required for adults in Arizona, however, those 18 and under are required, by state law, to wear a motorcycle helmet. As an Extra, we have one for use, that will likely fit kids aged 6-12, or so. There are several shops around town that offer helmet rentals if you will have a child in the Slingshot or are interested in one for yourself. Don't hesitate to ask if you need helping finding or obtaining a helmet(s) in advance of your trip. NOTE - Ensuring you and your passengers are compliant with the state mandated helmet laws is solely the renters responsibility.
Can I drive in the HOV lane?
Yes! In Arizona, as a categorized autocycle, Slingshots can drive in the HOV lane, 24/7, regardless of the number of passengers.
Are any accessories included in the rental?
All trips will include, at no charge and upon request:
- PHONE MOUNT: There is a magnetic, dash mount phone holder. You don't have a metal plate on/in your phone/phone case? No problem...we have metal plates you can borrow to slide inside your phone case or adhere to the outside of your case with 3M Command Strips, for temporary use that will come off without a leaving any residue. We keep them in the Turo folder in the glove-box, but make sure to check with us at checkout if you need one.
- PHONE CABLE: There is a wired phone cable that: 1) has a Lightening or Micro USB connector, and 2) connects your phone to the Slingshot's sound system.
- HATS: We keep one baseball cap in the glove-box, but if you want another size or style, we have a couple others you can choose from. Make sure to ask at when at pick it up if this is important to you.
- SUNSCREEN: We highly recommend the use of sunscreen while driving during the day. If you don't have your own, there is sunscreen in the glove-box.
- RAIN GEAR: If you happen to book your trip on one of the 36 days it rains each year in the Valley, there is one rain coat in the storage compartment behind the driver's seat. If there is rain in the forecast, feel free to ask for a second.
PLEASE NOTE: We try to keep all of these items in the car, but some tend to go missing or are removed, unbeknownst to us. If any of these items are important they be provided, please inquire at booking or at pickup.
Only upon request and/or from other providers:
Feel free to ask for any other accessories not listed above. We want to ensure your drive is as comfortable as we can make it, we just ask that you ensure all accessories are returned.
How is the noise level and its impact on hearing music/conversation/phone calls?
The SL model's high-end audio system automatically adjusts music volume as speed increases. Depending on variables, such as windshield type and dimension, whether driver and/or passenger are wearing a helmet, road surface material, etc., this feature can be adjusted to low, medium or high to ensure that the output volume range appropriately matches wind and road noise as speed increases, or may be shut off altogether if driver and/or passenger prefer to adjust manually.
CONVERSATION & PHONE CALLS
This Slingshot is equipped with F4 Customs' "+3 Model", top of the line, custom tinted wind screen. F4 Customs is a world renowned manufacturer of best-in-class custom windshields and windscreens, each custom designed to fit a specific model of motorcycle, autocycle, vintage sidecar or and collector car. This windscreen is 3" taller, relative to the tallest available factory option, and provides superior optics, road hazard and debris protection, and dramatically decreased wind noise and buffeting, whether at street of highway speed. This allows for driver-passenger conversation and/or phone calls very similar to that in a typical convertible.
Do you have any scenic drives you can recommend?
Yes!!! We are working on a guidebook of our favorite drives, but in the meantime, if you want to take a drive in the Slingshot, I'm more than happy to suggest a drive or two or five. Let me know how much time you want to kill, a general idea what you want to see and your tolerance for going over on allowable miles, and I will take your answers and the weather into account and give you a couple suggestions of scenic (and fun) drives to choose from.
What's the Slingshot's gas situation?
- Takes Premium gas.
- Has a 9.8 gallon tank.
- Gets 29.3 mpg, on average, but I can report mileage is widely variable (28.9 [highway] to 59 [city] mpg), depending on how you're driving, highway vs. city, cargo weight, elevation, etc..
Where can I see the Slingshot's User Manual?
It's usually in the glove-box, but you can also access it online at: https://prdvehiclepubsdata001.blob.core.windows.net/public/OwnerManuals/SLG/9926666r02_lo_res.pdf
Can I connect my phone to the Slingshot?
If you wish, you can setup and connect your phone to the Slingshot's Bluetooth, which will allow you to listen to and control your music through the sound system, however, this will not give you use of your phone through the Bluetooth...a hands-free headset is recommended for phone use.
For music, you can get easy access to, and control of, your music by plugging your phone (Samsung or iPhone) into the cable at the phone mount, or there is an extra USB port in the glove-box.
Is there any storage in the Slingshot?
Yes! The Slingshot has decent sized, locking, waterproof storage compartments behind each seat, which are good for overnights. And, there is a waterproof, locking glove-box and waterproof, zipping pouches on the outside of each seat which provide good storage for day-trips.