About the "Bishi":
Reliable - fun to drive - sturdy - good gas mileage (23/30) - hip - compact (which means great for city or popular trailhead parking!)
This is a sturdy low-rider car. Stick shift aka manual transmission so to rent you must be familiar and well-versed in driving manual. That being said, it's a very easy manual compared to others I have owned and/or driven. Low miles and always up to date on maintenance makes this a very reliable city or mild adventure car. Also, being smaller makes it much easier for parking if you are headed to busy areas like downtown Portland or hip neighborhoods on the eastside where parking can be tricky. Also, a convenient adventure vehicle on good roads - we've driven it countless times to amazing hikes and waterfalls in the gorge, up to Ranier National Park, Mount St Helens, Mt Hood (most mountains best to go not during snowstorms and only on cleared roads), or the beautiful beaches of the PNW coast. Great car <3
Some features to consider:
- MANUAL / STICK SHIFT transmission - please, don't borrow our vehicle hoping to learn to drive a manual!
- LOW CLEARANCE: while we have driven it to plenty of local hikes and even on gravel forest roads, this car has standard low-clearance of this model so I don't recommend real back-country adventures where lots of potholes or washed out roads are likely
- FUEL - must be re-fueled with MID-GRADE or premium fuel only
- TIRE CHAINS - if there may be potential snow in your adventures, we keep model-appropriate chains in the trunk. We have driven with chains during the great Portland "snow-pocalypse" of 2017 and this car handled ice like a rockstar. Please be familiar with chains if this is likely for your adventures
- SEATS 2 comfortably - can fit up to 4 with seatbelts but really, only children or those around 5'3 and under should sit in the back for prolonged periods of time. Squeezing your 6'2 friend in the back may be considered cruel and unusual punishment
- AUDIO - get ready to rock it old school. This is equipped with a CD player and AM/FM radio. No updated ports for iphones and other fancy modern devices
- AC/ HEAT - has great functioning heater and air conditioning, new wipers for rainy days - like I said, well-maintained and sturdy, new tires, very reliable.
- HATCHBACK - can fold down the backseats and toss bigger items in the back. I have put 2 bikes back there (with removable front tires), could probably fit a short surf board/ snowboards/skiis, camping gear, etc.